Skip to main content

Week 10 Part A: Researching Email Marketing

I think with my goals for my business, it would be realistic to send a newsletter out monthly. Later, if I have more bandwidth, I think weekly would be ideal, so I could do a weekly roundup of upcoming events in North County. However, monthly could be ok for the time being to do a monthly roundup.

My business could definitely use a calendar of events, plus a spotlight on an especially cool event I went to recently. There might also be a section for new products I love or new businesses I love. 

One of the newsletters I read regularly (Cup of Jo) has a quote at the end, which I always enjoy. It's generally something fun and female-related. And the newsletter itself is a great summary of what was on the blog that week. It's super well done.

I could also include a comic or cartoon by someone like Grace Ferris. Of course, I'd want to include my social icons and perhaps an incentive if people share the newsletter. I read Katie Couric's newsletter every morning, and she has prizes for that sort of thing. In my opinion, she does way too much advertising in her newsletter overall, but I still love it.

It would also be fun to do occasional interviews with local businesses or other parents in the area. The news aggregator website I write for (Sunday Long Read) currently has a "most-read" section every week, which includes the top-read articles from last week. I think that's a great idea. They also have guest editors who curate the list. It would be nice to have a fellow parent do that from time to time. 

Another newsletter I follow (Morning Person) has TV and book recommendations. I think at least the book recommendation item could apply; perhaps some parenting books or just a couple fun "beach reads" or something. 

One of my clients at work has a newsletter on their latest scientific research, and it includes a button to donate. Mine would obviously not have that, but it could offer an option for a longer newsletter that people pay to subscribe to. Just a few ideas!

As for similar companies to mine in terms of parenting, I signed up to get the Big Little Feelings newsletter, and they have really good content. They give you a parenting scenario (like tantrums) and then walk you through how to deal with it. Later, they tell you to purchase their course for the full tutorial and other tips. It's actually very well done, and I like how they do give real advice in their newsletter.

Comments

  1. I think you have all of your information done very well. I'd add a section for people to reply with recommendations of places that they have been to and want to share to others. Nicely done though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I subscribed to big little feelings as well. I enjoy the scenarios dealing with toddlers in general. I'm looking forward to seeing your page full of events during the holidays. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea for a calendar of events and a highlight of your favorites as of late. I wonder if it would work to send out an email at the beginning of the month and the end as well. You could send out an event calendar at the beginning of the month and a quick recap at the end of how the events were. Nice thinking :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week1A: My Spooky Blog Theme

Welcome to my blog! I chose this theme because, well, fall is approaching and my daughter and I love Halloween. Why not get in the "spirit" already? This coral/orange color felt urgent but also fun! I felt this theme had a clean, user-friendly look too-- which is likely what you want when you have people quickly scrolling through content, right? I changed a few of the fonts to make them more legible (no italics, for example). I'm planning to make some more adjustments depending on how many photos I use and whether the format is working in terms of the content I'm putting out.  *Noting here that I wrote these as three separate paragraphs, but the theme joined them all together. I even tried altering the html language... to no avail. Anyway, I need to figure out how to create separate paragraphs on this blog! Let the learning experience begin!

Week 11 Part A: Marketing with Twitter, TikTok, Google for Business, LinkedIn, and more

I decided to look at social influencers and Tik Tok, since I know the least about both of them. I think social influencers (though I really despise the term and tbh kind of the concept!!) could really help me grow my brand. For example, if I had the woman behind FamDiego sharing some of my content, it might be helpful. She mainly stays in actual San Diego, so I don't think it would be a conflict of interest or competition...but who knows! Anyway, worth a shot. I like the idea of having an influencer write a guest post and then share it on their site. So FamDiego could come to an event with me in North County, say, and then write about our experience together. Or just tag me in her post about the event perhaps? And I could do the same. For Tik Tok, I'm not sure how it would be too different from doing a Reel on instagram or Facebook..but maybe I could just post that content on Tik Tok as well. I know a lot of "mommy blogs" (also dislike that term haha) do little reels

Week 12 Part A: Using Business Specific Online Tools

Since my business is community and collaboration-based, I found these sites very fun to research.  I first joined a few groups on LinkedIn: Conscious Parenting, Mindful Parenting, and San Diego 411. I'm interested to see how they play out and what messages come up on each group. I'll check back later this week. I also searched for some groups on MeetUp. I used to go to MeetUps in NYC when I had just moved there and was looking for friends. I did meet some nice people, though I also encountered a lot of odd men who just came to the MeetUps to meet women. So with MeetUp now, I would definitely be very selective in which groups I posted on or events I attended. I joined MomsNightOut so far. I didn't see too many parenting groups in there, so that could certainly be a good opportunity for me to create a couple MeetUp events for North County parents! In the same vein, I could try posting things on Eventbrite, since I often use that to find local events. I don't think Google